Next to enhancing oral absorption or enabling pulmonary delivery SEPS Pharma’s prodrug systems can also target sustained release after parenteral injection. To this aim SEPS Pharma develops lipophilic prodrug systems (LIPS) and self emulsifying prodrug systems (SEPS) that combine targeted prodrug design with innovative pharmaceutical technology in order to elicit the necessary alterations of physicochemical and/or biopharmaceutical properties that ensure prolonged delivery profiles.
Parenteral long-acting prodrug systems are developed in order to:
- Decrease the number of intakes and simplification of dosing regimen leading to enhanced patient compliance
- Improved tolerability e.g. avoiding gastrointestinal AEs.
- Minimizing variations in plasma/blood levels.
Related to design and development of novel prodrug formulations SEPS Pharma performs:
- Design and synthesis of lipophilic/self emulsifying prodrugs
- Testing chemical stability in appropriate matrices (plasma, tissue,…)
- In vitro/in vivo evaluation of synthesized prodrug
- Formulation development and optimalisation
- In vitro/in vivo evaluation of final formulation